Water Quality Field Technician
"Swim Guide Sampler"
White River Waterkeeper’s Swim Guide program brings weekly E. coli monitoring data to the public from Memorial Day through Labor Day. To learn more about the Swim Guide program, click here.
We are seeking two individuals that love to drive & have a passion for swimmable waters to lead one of three Swim Guide Routes. This position will require availability on Thursdays from 7 a.m. -3 p.m.
Internship is unpaid, but we are happy to help with any documentation needed for you to receive class credit. We also offer reimbursement of mileage on vehicle ($0.54/mile) on sampling and work related trips. All applications are due by Monday, April 1st. However, interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Training for summer Interns will be held in Harrison, May 13-14, 2020. YOU MUST ATTEND THIS TRAINING.
• Driving ~ 200 miles in a day, with intermittent stops
• Weekly water sample collection and field documentation
• Input data into spreadsheet
• Prep sampling equipment and supplies needed for successful trip
• Researching & writing Blog Posts relating to water quality and human health
• Ability to bend over to collect samples up to 30 times per day
• Availability on Thursdays 7 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Strong communication skills
• Willingness to drive their own car up to 400 miles per week to collect samples (mileage is reimbursed at a rate of ~ $0.54/mile. Weekly mileage is typically 200 miles per week)
• Must be comfortable driving and sampling alone in remote locations, often over a dozen miles down gravel roads, with limited to no cell phone reception
• Ability to adhere to strict, Quality Control measures and Standard Operating Procedures